Pre-K to 12 students in public and private schools nationwide face challenges outside the classroom that affect their ability to succeed academically. The USC MSW School and Educational Settings track prepares students to help children and adolescents overcome obstacles such as poverty, divorce and mental illness so they can reach their potential.

If you choose the School and Educational Settings track, you will be prepared to work not only with students but also with parents, teachers and administrators to make a positive impact at multiple levels within the school system.

On a typical workday as a school social worker, you may:

  • Meet with students individually to discuss problems at home that are affecting their grades.
  • Assess students with mental health concerns, and direct them toward helpful services.
  • Report cases of neglect or child abuse to the appropriate authorities.
  • Provide counseling and crisis intervention services to students’ families.
  • Contribute to the social, emotional, and academic success of a pupil.
  • Advocate for resources that will help promote student success and well-being.
  • Help school staff identify the cultural and socioeconomic factors affecting students’ decisions.
  • Develop and maintain relationships with local social work agencies that help you support students.



The following courses are required for the School and Educational Settings track:

  • Introduction to Social Work Practice with Children, Youth, and Families
  • Social Work Practice in School Settings
  • Research & Critical Analysis for SW with Children & Families OR Policy and Macro Practice in Child, Youth, and Family Services

Practicum Education

In addition to the courses above, you will complete 600 hours of practicum education, either in one or more schools or at a community agency that provides services within schools.

Our placement team will identify suitable placements in proximity to your home where you can complete the required hours and develop the skills needed to become an effective school social worker.

California State Credentials

The Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC) is required to practice school social work in California. To earn the credential, you must complete:

  • A minimum of 45 credit hours, including the School of Educational Settings track course requirements.
  • The required practicum education requirements with a verified PPSC Practicum Instructor.
  • A minimum of 1,100 practicum training hours*, with at least 600 hours of practicum education in school settings.


Additional steps may be required. If you are interested in seeking the PPSC, please see this website to understand the details of the requirements. You will need to indicate your interest to pursue the PPSC on the placement form once you are enrolled in the program. Your academic advisor, practicum instructor and practicum liaison will guide you throughout the process of earning the Pupil Personnel Services Credentials (PPSC) in School Social Work (SSW) and Child Welfare and Attendance (CWA) issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).

If you do not intend to pursue the PPSC, you may still participate in the School and Educational Settings track by completing the required coursework and a minimum of 600 practicum hours in school settings as outlined in the practicum requirements section above.

*Students interested in the School and Educational Settings track may require a modified schedule to ensure a positive placement experience. For additional information about placement requirements, reach out to an admissions counselor at 855-725-4-MSW or email us. California students who are interested in pursuing the Pupil Personnel Services Credential may be required to complete 45 units and other requirements after completion of the program.  Due to the unit requirement for PPSC, this credential is not available to advanced standing students. If you have questions or concerns about the program, please contact your academic advisor.

The School and Educational Settings track allows students who wish to practice in California the opportunity to pursue the Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC). This allows them to work as a social worker in school settings. Students who reside or intend to practice in a state outside of California may complete this track, but are not guaranteed licensure as a school social worker. Requirements may vary from state to state. Therefore, a student enrolling in this program and selecting the School and Educational Settings track should research the requirements in the state in which they reside or intend to practice.